Search engine optimization is extremely simple but the waters are constantly muddied by misinformation spread by wannabe experts and noobs who want to garner authority and respect. By sticking to these simple principles you will have one foot up on 99% of all people who attempt to do SEO. Thou Shalt Not Automate or Spam […]
Archive | digital marketingRSS feed for this section
Are you a spammer? I don’t care what the technical definition is – if you make it hard for people to unsubscribe from your mailings, you might be viewed as one. Don’t require multiple clicks to unsubscribe. Don’t force someone to enter their email address into your system to unsubscribe. Be responsible and use an […]
Since 1996, I’ve served on the advisory board for a number of the marketing-related programs for the University of Washington’s Professional and Continuing Education division. If you live the Seattle area, you should know about the Advanced Interactive Marketing Certificate. Here’s a short video overview: Check it out, and share this post with anyone you […]
Search for “oil spill” on Google and you’ll get this: Click here to enlarge On Bing you’ll get: British Petroleum · www.BP.com/GulfOfMexicoResponse Get Info about the Gulf of Mexico Response Today Yahoo: BP – Info about the Gulf of Mexico Spill Learn More about How BP is Helping. www.bp.com/gulfofmexicoresponse Normally, I’d say this is Responsible […]
View on YouTube A surprising perspective regarding B2B email marketing was published recently in the Harvard Business Review blog that got one of our client’s hackles up, and I think it will yours too. In B2B’s: Your Email Marketing Policy Could Hurt You, the author essentially argues that spam is okay as long as you […]
You know the ads on the right hand column of your Facebook feeds page? Here’s a view I’ve received a lot lately: Yeah. I know. You’ve seen these ads enough already. Not sure why I’d receive ’em…I’m not a gamer and there’s nothing in my profile that would lead you to believe I’d be interested […]
I’ve owned dozens of cars, and like a lot of people, most have been Japanese or German. So when I turned in my leased Honda and started the hunt for a new hybrid, I drove the Toyota Prius, Camry and Highlander Hybrids, the new Honda Insight and a Lexus RX 400h. The Prius felt underpowered […]
Much has been said about how connected Gen Y is. But I was shocked when I learned that teens with a cell phone average 2,272 text messages per month. That’s works out to over 73 messages per day, or 4.5 per hour assuming eight hours of sleep. This is compared to an average of 203 […]
Personalization has been the marketer’s holy grail for a long time. From 1998-2002 I instructed the Integrated Marketing Communications course at the University of Washington. The first few years, I used The One-to-One Future by Don Peppers and Martha Rogers as one of my textbooks. Of course, one of the key messages of the book […]
I wish people didn’t call it “new media” anymore. It’s just media. But unlike television, radio and print, this media is created by you, me, your co-workers—maybe even your mom. It’s a conversation that brings you closer to the customer than ever before at a time when recent research has shown that 86% of consumers […]
Bennett Gordon from the always good Utne Reader shared the following interview with Lucas Conley, author of Obsessive Branding Disorder. Includes audio, video and a link to an excerpt from the book. Looking for social media case studies? Here are 27 of ’em from Now is Gone, by Geoff Livingston. In Indecent exposures: Companies don’t […]
Alltop is the excellent blog aggregation site that offers “aggregation without aggravation” because it lists just the best of the best blogs. I was honored to be included in the marketing.alltop category in May and gave you Responsible Marketers the opportunity to weigh in on which badge I should use. So, imagine my surprise when […]
By popular demand, here’s my deck from PodCamp Seattle: As you probably noticed, I’m not a big fan of slides full of bullets—it’s mostly images. View all the websites mentioned in the deck, as well as all the sites recommended by Twitter friends here: http://del.icio.us/patrickbyers/socialgood I’ve also bookmarked all of the Twitter contributors in case […]
Responsible marketers know that social media is changing the business landscape and has become an integral part of the marketing mix. If you don’t know social media because you just haven’t had the time to figure it out, now you can get a good primer in less than one day—for free. PodCamp is coming to […]
We all know it now: Digital marketing kicks butt. Organizations big and small should be investing in paid search, SEO and email marketing. In some categories the ROI makes putting most (if not all) of your marketing budget into digital marketing a no-brainer. Or is it? Care to guess how many people have never sent […]
- Awards for sale: Not a rewarding experience July 22, 2008
- The door to door salesman from hell October 23, 2008
Personnel Concepts’ marketing:
Out of compliance? October 8, 2008
- Princeton Premier: Bad marketing or vanity scam? November 13, 2008
- Let’s fight vanity scams together August 21, 2008
- The new phone books are here! Oh, goody. October 22, 2008
- How can business help the poor? September 25, 2008
- The Responsible Marketing Blog has moved. February 13, 2014
- Hometown Hookups Season: Looks that Seal the Deal December 9, 2013
- Responsible Marketing in a Zombie Apocalypse December 3, 2013
- Old time cough syrup labeling and the side effects of medical disclaimers November 25, 2013
- Get “Mastering the Rockefeller Habits” free* when you learn about our marketing management services. November 19, 2013
- Profanity in Advertising — What the @#$! do we care? November 18, 2013
- There’s still time to plan your 2014 marketing. Well, sorta. October 23, 2013
- Brand Truth: Fashion Group International: A panel discussion — Brand, storytelling and the trend to truth | GIRVIN | Strategic Branding Blog: […] That same challenge in the public’s pe...
- hakim jones: I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeee.sorryyyyyyyyyy lol...
- hakim jones: I had the same thing happen! it's like he almost ...
- hakim jones: I assume u work them blowhard lol...
- Facts and Go Figure: The Sneaky Art of Justifying Anything | Atomic Tango: […] at my friend Patrick Byers’ Respon...
- The Unparalleled World-Class Mission-Critical Hero: Words Sucked Dry In Business | Atomic Tango: […] Patrick Byers has written a post on anno...
- Patrick Byers: Now there's a way to put it. Thanks for weighing ...